1086: The Manor of Clapham (including the Common as part of its lands) mentioned in Domesday Book.
1642-51: Civil War: Atkins family (Clapham Manor) support the Commonwealth.
1716: Battersea parishioners dug bank and ditch across Clapham Common to keep Clapham parishioners’ livestock out. Refilled by Clapham parishioners.
1746: Mount Pond dug for gravel for the Turnpike Road in Tooting.
1768: First Committee established to oversee Clapham Common after a Mr Franks attempted to dig a 50-yard trench through it. Benjamin Franklin conducted experiment to demonstrate the thickness of molecules by pouring oil onto one of CC’s ponds.
1772 Improvement works sponsored by Christopher Baldwin, a local magistrate, from public subscriptions.
1774-9 Holy Trinty Church built. Later (19th Century) famous as the meeting place of the Clapham Sect led by William Wilberforce. The Sect was a major force behind the abolition of slavery.
1780s Number and frequency of public fairs restricted to Whit Sunday and Derby Day.
1825 Stage Coach services to Clapham stop around the Common. Omnibus service introduced in 1830.
1828 “The Common in the last century was little more than a morass and the roads over it were almost impassable” (Balten).
1836 Group of local residents form committee to preserve and improve the Common.
1848 Young’s Brewery of Wandsworth acquires freehold of the Windmill Pub.
1864 Attempt to run railway across the Common blocked by suubscribers.
1870s Long Pond built -probably London’s oldest model yachting site.
1873 Clapham Common Golf Club formed (2nd oldest in London).
1877 Clapham Common acquired by Metropolitan Board of Works from the Lords of the Manors. 70 acres drained. Formal recreation grounds laid out. Regulations on sports and games issued.
1889 London County Council becomes responsible for the Common.
1890 Bandstand (Grade II listing) installed as centrepiece of new radial path network at the request of local residents. Reportedly the largest surviving bandstand in the UK.
1893 LCC fund raising and levelling large parts of the Common.
1895 United Temperance Society and General Provident Institute drinking fountain (designed by von Kreiling, cast by F Mueller of Munich, Germany) moved to CC from London Bridge.
1913-18 Allotments along North Side.
1914 Sheep graze on the Common for the last time.
1914-18 WWI trench system dug on part of the Common.
1939-40 Barrage balloons, anti-aircraft batteries and farming destroted virtually all that remained of the Common’s wildlife. The present day flat aspect derives from this period.
1940-42 Deep air raid shelter bulit at Clapham South.
1948 Land requisitioned by the War Office returned to LCC.
1954 First Greater London Horse Show – continued annually until 1985.
1963 Clapham Society formed with sub-committee charged “to maintain a balance between those who wish to use the sports facilities and children’s play facilities on the Common and those interested in quiet green areas in which to observe the wildlife of London”.
1965 Management of the Common passed to Greater London Council.
1971 Dispersal of GLC’s open spaces. CC passes to London Borough of Lambeth (LBL).
1987 400 mature trees lost in the Great Storm.
1996 Formation of the Management Advisory Committee (MAC).
1998 FCC formed for the protection and enhancement of London’s most used green space.
2004 Clapham Common Advisory Committee (CCMAC) evolves out of the MAC.
2006 Bandstand restoration, a project of the FCC, Clapham Society and LBL, completed with the help of the Heritage Lottery Fund.
2008 FCC starts an annual tree planting programme with Trees for Cities.
2010-11 Mount Pond restored and improved.
2011 Bandstand berm renewed with granite setts. Trial wildflower meadow planted.